Sunday, October 16, 2011

Emp's Thoughts - iOS Set Up vs Android Set Up






For all of you fan boys out there for iOS or Android, no this is not to bash either platform, but rather to discuss what I think about the two platforms in terms of starting it up/setting it up for use the first time.

Now we all have experienced the joys of opening up our new iPhone or Android devices, eager to set it up and to be able to use it.

Here's what I think of iOS set up on the iPhone or the iPad. One has to put their sim card in (not in a WiFi iPad) and then connect it to the computer/Mac via iTunes in order for it to set up/activate the phone, hence allowing the user being able to use their phone finally. Sure it seems like an easy process, but Apple decided to let users activate the iPhone 4S or the previous iPhone devices such as the 3GS and 4 with iOS5 to be able to activate the phone without connecting to iTunes via a physical connection. This is OTA (Over the Air), to make life easier for you and me.

I was quiet happy about this, so I thought I'd try this out, but lo and behold, after setting up the region/language settings, and WiFi, it still had asked me to insert a valid sim card for me to proceed further. What if I don't have a sim card yet but still want to explore how vast the iOS is, and set up my apps or do other stuff with the phone? A good metaphor for this I think would be a guy going to a bar/club and he finds a really attractive woman (in this case an iPhone). He wants to approach her, pick her up, and eventually having fun with her at the end of the night, but realizes that he can't because lo and behold, the chick's friend always drags her out right before, thus leaving the guy with nothing to go further with. I.e. he got cock blocked, so to speak. That's not fun I can guarantee you that. Maybe that's not a good analogy, but you know where I am getting at, right?

So here I lay sitting in front of my computer waiting to get my micro sim and eventually activating my iPhone 4S and finally using it. Here's another idea for Emp's Thoughts - Why create a micro-sim? That's for later.

Now onto Android. I've always enjoyed setting up my Android phone. The best part of walking up is Folgers in your cup! Oops wrong one hehe. With Android, one can set up/configure the phone by setting up the region/time/language/WiFi Settings, and by signing onto their Google Account or create one on the spot if they don't have one and voila! You are done! No sim card needed too. So the Android user can start to download their apps, install them, tweak their phone, do whatever minus the making phone calls/texting part. See how easy that is? And they say that iOS makes it easy to use as compared to Android.

Well that concludes another Emp's Thoughts article/post. This was my first and there'll be many more to come. My next one - No its about regular sim vs micro-sim cards, but instead, "Why make another Motorola Atrix device - the Atrix 2"?

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment