Thursday, February 21, 2013

Ubuntu Preview Build On My Galaxy Nexus - First Impressions

The wait is finally over! Canonical has finally released their preview builds for the Nexus devices excluding the Nexus One and Nexus S of course.

I thought I'd get my hands on this and try it out on my Galaxy Nexus first. Still debating whether or not I should try it out on my Nexus 4 and 7.

That being said, I gave it a whirl and here are my impressions, some pics and a quick overview.

I will be posting a guide later on how to install the preview images onto your Galaxy Nexus, and Nexus 4.

So here you go and please enjoy responsibly :)

Well I must say Canonical has done a great job so far with the preview build and so far I am enjoying it. However it does take some time getting used to the interface. The start up or booting up the phone and into the OS is pretty quick. The OS itself so far is pretty fluid and much faster than Android from what I have been trying out so far. There are some functions getting used to, like accessing the settings of the app, or perhaps even changing the time zone and such. 

The native apps are really great, of course there are still more rooms for apps to be ported over. The camera app is fantastic. Much better than stock Android. Pics are taken quickly on a fly. Of course you can't edit the settings such as white balance, etc. Just the basic controls - flash, reverse camera to front/back, take a photo, go to gallery and record a video. 

There is more room for it of course, and hopefully we'll see updated builds or a stable version down the road. 

Overall its pretty good, but like I said since its a preview build THIS is not for permanent use. Just for those who are developers or would like to try something new for a bit. 

Some images:

























Here's a video for a quick overview:



No comments:

Post a Comment