Monday, January 31, 2011

Android 2.2/Froyo's WiFi Hot Spot Review

Here's my review or thoughts on the Android 2.2's/Froyo's WiFi hotpost feature.

After encryptiing the WiFi hotspot feature with WPA2 encryption and so forth, I've managed to hook my laptop's wifi connection with that of my HTC Desire Z's mobile network. *Note you need to have a good data plan if you plan on browsing A LOT* I am
with a 1GB data plan so I should be good.

Now onto the tests. It loads basic flash/Java pages like you would with a weaker internet connection.

For example loading Actiontrip.com which is solely based on Flash for all its content, takes 25 to 35 seconds approximately.

Loading a 4MB mp3 file doesn't take too long. Downloading that file takes 40 seconds to download with an average speed of 80KB/sec. Signing onto gmail takes a while as well as signing out.

Overall this is a good feature for Android devices running 2.2 and higher. You can easily configure the settings on your phone,encrypt it and manage the users and also set the max amount of users.

The cons however is that if you plan on browsing for media, well you better have a good data plan otherwise you'd be in trouble.

I recommend at least 1GB. Another thing I noticed is that when my laptop picked up the connection and when was trying to connect,it said "Limited or No Connectivity". This is false because it did actually connect after testing the connection through ipconfig and by pinging.

As a proof that it does connect, you can check out www.speedtest.net.

Here are some useful data:



Proof that its connected to Bell Mobility:

No comments:

Post a Comment